October 28, 2006

Too Trusting...

The holidays have come to an end. My blog has not been updated for a while as I've been rather busy with things. Anyway, Happy Belated DeepaRaya to all. (^.^)

I've been spending my time playing games and getting up to date with what movies I've missed... and I've missed an AWFUL LOT!!!

I've also managed to try out the latest Warhammer 40,000 installment, Dark Crusade on the PC and its an A M A Z I N G game!! I highly recommend it to all you RTS (real-time strategy) gamers out there. Of course, if you're pre-occupied with CoH (Company of Heroes), then you an ignore my recommendation-la...

Anyway, I got "ping-ed" by EV who has been trying to get me to update her resume for the past... year (*ahem*) but what do I know about the financial/accounting industry?? Oh well, she decided to disturb me and we got online...

EV: *ding*!! (actually, its a Nudge.. she loves to do that..)
Me: yeah (oh no! the torture just got virtual... would I lose real brain cells? yep..)
EV: u asked me to come online, now i'm online-la
Me: hehehe. r u done w ur resume?
EV: yea. u were supposed to help me!
Me: o_o... wat do i know?
EV: anyway, i got something to ask u
Me: yea. wat?
EV: i want to clean my pc, clear the trace of where i've been.
Me: ohhh... just clean the history & files-la. u using IE?
EV: how??
Me: select "Delete Files" from your Internet Properties. 1st select "Tools --> Options", then the thing will come up.
EV: and then?
Me: delete ur history oso-la. select "Clear History".
...
Some minutes later

EV: and then? wat else? i want to clean it...
Me: hmmm.. lk that.. open the command prompt and type "format c:\"
EV: ok
...

EV: i'm hungry now... need to get something to eat.
Me: y didn't u eat earlier?
EV: u were disturbing me-la...
Me: hahahaha... :P
EV: this thing take so slow, i go makan 1st.
Me: ** OMG... did she....**

At this point, I wondered if she REALLY did try to run the command "format C:\" and so, I frantically call her.

EV: WHATTTT??
Me: What is your PC doing now?
EV: Running the cleaning-lo, very slow now...
Me: ... (O.O)
Me: Did you run the "format c:\" command I gave??
EV: Yeah.. So slow...
Me: ALAMAK!! STOP THE COMMAND! CANCEL IT! YOU MAY HAVE FORMATTED YOUR C:\ DRIVE!!
EV: WHATTT??? WHAT DID YOU DO???!! WHY YOU ASKED ME TO RUN THE COMMAND??!!
Me: I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE SO BLUR TO RUN IT MAH! TELL ME HOW YOU RUN IT?
EV: I just open the Run command and type it-lo
Me: ... Ok ok... Nevermind. Just stop it and restart your PC. Hope that nothing happen!
EV: How could you do this to me... You know I'm blur one... If something happens to it, I'm going to kill you!
Me: Haiii... You kept asking me all the questions on cleaning your PC, how would I know?? Sorry-lo... (=.=)

EV was pretty upset as she had about 6yrs worth of data there and HAD NEVER DONE A BACKUP BEFORE!!!

I asked her if she ever did a back-up and she said "No"... Clearly, it is bad IT policy (both company and personal) to not have a back-up of your data. If given to some malicious people (not me.. please..), you could be in serious trouble.

Nevertheless, the latest tech in IT forensics could still help to recover such data but you have to pay for such services...

Anyway, by the end of the day... I SMSed to EV to apologize and she was pretty angry with me. I followed up on Monday to check if all was well. She didn't send me any nasty stuff and so, all was well.

Kekekeke... Don't ever try this on your non-IT-savvy friends.... (^_^)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your comments. However, take note that your comments may be edited or deleted as seen fit by the author of this blog.

Take note that the author of this blog may not be held responsible for the comments which may be insensitive, vulgar or controversial.

Related Posts with Thumbnails