May 04, 2006

Gerascophobia - Fear of growing old...

Interestingly... This came to mind because I had just wished my best friend a Happy Birthday a couple of days back.

Anyway, just this morning, she just sent me an SMS to proclaim that she's not her new age but have regressed back to her previous age. (-_-)

Confused?? You bet I am!

Oh well, I was thinking that by the time we hit a certain age, certain unrational fears come to mind and certainly if taken a bit too seriously, it probably might develop into a phobia. As described from Wikipedia,
A phobia (from the Greek φόβος "fear"), is a strong, persistent fear of situations, objects, activities, or persons. The main symptom of this disorder is the excessive, unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. When the fear is beyond one's control, or if the fear is interfering with daily life, then a diagnosis under one of the anxiety disorders can be made.
Anyway, I think all of us have our shares of phobias. Perhaps the most common one is acrophobia - the fear of heights. I suffer from this but its under control. I can't bear to be at the top of the building and I will freeze if I have to board an escalator which spans across two floors - like what they have at Berjaya Times Square. ;)

I remembered being so fearful while boarding one escalator in Melbourne (Russell St station, I think) that I had to hold one to a friend, while gripping the railing of the escalator, my knuckles white with fear. I kept looking at my feet, all the while thinking that I might fall backwards and hurl tumbling down the escalator. It was a terrible 20 minute ordeal which felt like an eternity.. Yes, the Russell St station has a very long escalator. I never stop there. I usually would prefer to stop 1 stop before and then walk all the way up to the Melbourne townhall. Hehe..

Oh well... I found this little link which is a dictionary of phobias--> Dictionary of Phobias

Strange what the mind can do to the body when in the flight/fight response. (^_^)

P/S: Gerascophobia can be quite common, look at all the stars going for plastic surgery and botox injections.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your comments. However, take note that your comments may be edited or deleted as seen fit by the author of this blog.

Take note that the author of this blog may not be held responsible for the comments which may be insensitive, vulgar or controversial.

Related Posts with Thumbnails