March 24, 2007

Subversion With Windows, Anyone?

I would have to admit that I have not been a hardcore developer for a very long time as I have started to move towards becoming a competent software architect. Nevertheless, even being an architect, you can not get away from coding altogether. In fact, it should be mandatory that being an architect, the code craft should be more refined. But that's another topic for another day.

Anyway, there are things which I can not live without, and that is having my code "sit" in a proper home, i.e. a code repository. The code repository is not only used to store code but also to provide version control to ensure that codes are managed properly.

Having used a little bit of RCS (from Uni days), Microsoft Visual SourceSafe (VSS), CVS and more recently, Subversion; I have come to love Subversion for its ease of use. Not only that SVN is gaining popularity amongst the developer community but I find it to be a good introduction to new developers who needs an introduction into managing software configuration and quality. Unless you have taken a course in Software Quality Management, many developers are not aware about the issues involved when sharing code between two or more developers.

Enough said, I spent a good two hours today, (including download and installation time), getting my Subversion installed and configured for my use. (^_^)

I was able to get Subversion 1.4.2 installed on my Windows XP Pro laptop, configured to use Apache Web Server 2.0.59 as a means to allow developers to access the repository via the web. I have tried to use the latest version of Subversion, version 1.4.3 but found that there were some problems after I modified the Apache Web Server's httpd.conf file and could not get it to start. (-__-)

Anyway, I was able to install Subversion using steps from this series of blog entries by Aaron West, on setting up Subversion.

The following links should also prove useful as a start:
Hope this would help you out in setting up Subversion for your development use! (^_^)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your comments. However, take note that your comments may be edited or deleted as seen fit by the author of this blog.

Take note that the author of this blog may not be held responsible for the comments which may be insensitive, vulgar or controversial.

Related Posts with Thumbnails