August 15, 2007

Assumption Wednesday

When I was growing up, Assumption used to fall on Thursdays. Today, being Aug 15th, it fell on a Wednesday. Strange, how the calendar has to adjust itself. (^ ^)

Anyway, the thought came to me when my mom dragged my half-dead @ss up from bed to get me to go to church this morning, since I couldn't go in the evening.

==: A slight digression as I explain what is Assumption :==
Assumption is a Day of Obligation for Catholic Christians to celebrate the solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, where at the end of her earthly life, she is assumed to Heaven both body and soul.

Mom: Today is wednesday, right?
Me: Uh-huh?? (half-awake, half-asleep)
Mom: Hahhh... I remember Assumption always fell on a Thursday.
Me: Hmmmm... Yea. I think the calendar shifted liao. (zzzzZZzzzz)

My mom mumbled something else but I couldn't grasp as my mind was still not awake at 6:15am in the morning.

Now, we celebrate the solemnity because The Blessed Virgin Mary is a model Christian, who submitted herself to God to be a "handmaid of the Lord" (Luke 1:38) and thus, reminding us to be like her. A model of grace, patience and faith. We Catholics give her great respect because she was the Mother of our God and of our Lord, Jesus Christ. And as I said before, a model of great faith for us to emulate daily.

I may have been asleep before, but I was fully awake to remember the message during mass today... I hope.

Happy Feast Day folks!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Angie, thanks for reminding me about this - I forgot. I didn't go to church. "Day of Obligation" :( guilty. Pray 3 hail marys for me. Anyhow, thanks for visiting my blog. I update frequently, so hope to see your profile there again. Cheers. P/s Dont forget to pray for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey dude,

    thanks for dropping by.

    no worries. i keep forgetting too. that's why mom had enough of it. she whooped my @ss (even though i'm fully grown) to get me to go.

    yeap, no worries! i'll drop by your blog from time to time. hehe... my RSS reader list is growing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say Angie. Educate this ignorant reader. What does a Catholic do during Assumption?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey cirnelle,

    basically, we just have a mass in church, just like a regular Sunday mass except that the 3 readings from the bible during the Liturgy (Sharing of The Word), is about Mary and how we should emulate her.

    hope that helps. (^ ^)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to add your comments. However, take note that your comments may be edited or deleted as seen fit by the author of this blog.

Take note that the author of this blog may not be held responsible for the comments which may be insensitive, vulgar or controversial.

Related Posts with Thumbnails